Sunday, February 9, 2014

I haven't been great at sharing my cancer news, but I've had a lot going on with the holidays and family. In December I met with an oncologist who had me do a chest x ray, ct scan and blood work. Good news is that everything came back clear, my cancer hasn't spread! We will check again in another 6 months.  And just last week I had an appointment with my eye doc in salt lake and he said the cancer is looking smaller and my eye is looking healthy. He talked a little more about some of the possible side effects that I might experience in the future as a result of the radiation: cataracts, vision issues, leaky blood vessels at the back of the eye, ect. But we will cross that bridge when and if we get there. 

I really wanted to share the good news last week, but that same day I got some other news about my dad that was a little hard to handle. Just before Christmas my dad had a biopsy on his prostate and on Christmas eve we got the news that he has a very very aggressive and serious prostate cancer. Usually prostate cancer isn't a big deal, but my dads is very aggressive. January 24 he had the prostate removed and some lymph node biopsies. Last week we got the news that they found the cancer in some of the lymph nodes, which means it's spread and it means the cancer is a stage 4. We aren't sure of the prognosis yet but they are going to be aggressive with his treatment. Prayers are welcome for him and for the fam. Two cancer diagnoses so close together has been hard on the family, but we are all doing well considering. 

My eye is doing pretty well. It's still a little swollen and a little droopy. It's not hugely noticeable and of course I'd rather have a droopy eyelid than have cancer, or no eye at all. My eyes get pretty sensitive to the light still and I have trouble keeping my eyes open while driving (too bright, especially with all the snow), which is obviously dangerous so I get rides as often as I can and wear sunglasses when I have to drive. Over the last week this has actually gotten much better. For about a month after the surgery I would get terrible headaches. Those have much improved though. My energy level is much better, but I crash hard at the end of the day or if I over do it. 

My Wesley turned one last month! I shared some picture on Facebook. We had a party at Chuck e cheese for Wes, my brother Brent and my dad, who all have January birthdays.  Then on Wesley's actual birthday we got a small cake for Wes and let him devour it. He did great at destroying the cake. He has 12 teeth now, walks like a pro, says mom, dad, hi, hello, I love you, thank you, uh oh, and has lots of silly sounds and 'phrases' he likes to say, like "elow" and "lowdee" and he likes to yell and sing. 

Charles has been a champ through all of this. He has taken care of Wes and I and hasn't complained once. The poor guy has had so much on his plate. His dad had some health issues recently, my cancer diagnosis, my dad's cancer diagnosis, and doing online classes through weber state all while taking care of a sick wife and being a great dad to our little guy. I admire his strength and love him dearly. Maybe one day I'll get around to posting pictures of everything. 


1 comment:

  1. It's good to get the details. Thank you for sharing. And your family really has such a great attitude through all of this, it is good to see. Love you.

    ReplyDelete