Sunday, January 13, 2013

Wesley

We are home from the hospital with our perfect little boy and we are getting as settled as we can. Its a little hard because we will be moving within the next two weeks so even if we were to get completely settled and figure out how and where we want to do things it will all be changing in just a few short weeks. But Chuck is holding the baby watching some football :) so I thought this would be a great time to blog about his birth and the events surrounding it.

I want this to be a happy post, but I also want to remember everything, so I wont go into the negative details, ill just say that the weekend before his birth was stressful because we had frozen pipes, a leaky dishwasher, and no hot water because the water heater went out and we thought it was going to cost over $2000 to replace it (luckily we got a second opinion and we were able to fix it for A LOT cheaper). But we had people come fix some of the stuff monday. So then on tuesday we were supposed to be to the hospital by 10:30 a.m. Since we weren't able to do the dishes all weekend I decided to do them tuesday morning and as soon as we got done we heard loud running water so Chuck ran downstairs to see what it was and a pipe had burst in the downstairs kitchen and was spraying water everywhere. This was 30 minutes before we were supposed to be at the hospital so we hurried and turned off the water and used evey single towel in the house to mop up the water and ran to go have a baby. Also, we were supposed to have the appraisal and the home inspection done later that day. When we told our real estate agent everything that was going on he was great and rescheduled the home inspection to next week.

We got to the hospital and they started monitoring the baby and prepping me for my C-section. The doc was running ahead of schedule so they had to hurry to get me all prepped so we could get started early. My family had been in Hawaii and my mom had just flown back in that same morning and she got to the hospital maybe 10 minutes before they took us to the O.R. I got my epidural which wasnt bad at all, infact I wasnt even sure if they had finished doing it until I started to go numb. They had a drape up in front of my face so I couldnt see the surgery but I could kind of see what was going on from the reflection in the lights above me. I couldnt really make out details but once they said 'heres his head' I could tell thats what it was. His little arm popped out with his head too :) I started feeling funny and really had to focus on my breathing once they had him out, so I dont remember a whole lot about the rest of the surgery, just that they brought him around the drape, showed him to us then took him to the warmer where they checked his breathing and everything. He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz and is 21 inches long. He was doing great and it was about 5 minutes before they handed him to Chuck, then they put him on my chest and I got to hold him for about a minute before they took him and Chuck to the nursery and they wheeled me out to monitor me for a little bit. Chuck and the baby were only gone for like 15 minutes then they brought him in and had me feed him, which he did REALLY well with. Then we went up to our mother baby room where we just hung out the rest of the day.

 Baby and I both did really well, no complications, nothing scary, it was very peaceful. My entire face itched like CRAZY from the epidural for the rest of the day though :) The next few days were good as far as the baby goes, but I had developed a cold a few days before and it got bad while I was in the hospital. I had to wear a mask and wasnt allowed to kiss on him which was hard. I also had a really had time blowing my nose and coughing because I had just had surgery, so I literally would spend about 20 minutes doing small blows trying to clear my nose and I couldn't cough at all until day 3. Also Chuck had to keep making calls and leaving trying to deal with the plumber and the water heater guy, home insurance adjuster and trying to keep our real estate agent in the loop.

The nurses kept commenting on well I was doing with my recovery and honestly I felt really good considering I had just had major surgery. I was up and moving then next day and reaching all my discharge goals a lot faster then they needed me to and they said we could go home a day early if we wanted. We decided to not go home early though because the pipes and water heater werent fixed yet and we didnt think it would be good to take him home with no running or hot water, plus insurance covers 3 days for a C-section and with my AFLAC plan I get more money if I stay that extra day :) So we stuck around until friday around noon then headed home. I got really emotional as we were packing up and started crying when I put him in his car seat. Weve made that drive from the hospital to our house so many times, but this time it seemed very bumpy to me and Chuck said it felt like the longest 10 minute drive of his life :)

When we got home he was asleep so we put him in his crib and I just sat by his bed side and sobbed :) I blame the hormones :) That first day home it was hard to leave his side, but since then its getting easier to know he will be ok if im not in the same room for 2 minutes and ive been able to get some things done around the house.

He is perfect in every way. Chuck and I really wanted a girl for the first half of the pregnancy, but now I keep telling Chuck that I cant imagine not having HIM. He is perfect for us and he is ours and the three of us make up this perfect little family and I cant imagine having any other baby. We are both so smitten by him. Chuck has been so twitter patted by him and I am LOVING watching the two of them together and seeing him as a dad. Our little man is SO handsome! Most babies are cute, but Wes is handsome :) When I look at him I dont see a really strong resemblance to either one of us yet, but everyone keeps saying he looks like Chuck. I see my dad in him a little bit. Time will tell :) And now here is a ton of pictures!




























2 comments:

  1. You are right. He is handsome! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so kissable. I love how sweet his little face is. Max spent a lot of time watching basketball with Adam at that age. It's a great bonding activity, sports watching :)

    ReplyDelete